a year in review: a letter to myself

I've worked on this letter for a few weeks, imagining that it would actually be delivered to my year ago self in some sort of sci-fi fashion. After a lame reality check making me realize this wasn't going to happen, I figured it's time to stop typing and press publish.

I originally was going to post before the New Year, then on the New Year, but this date is the perfect date.  One year ago today, I posted my very first photo on my photography journey.  It was scary and exciting wrapped up in one mediocre unedited image.  As terrifying as it was, I'm so glad I did it.  Here's to reflecting on a year and feeling overjoyed I learned so much.

--------------

Dear Ashley,

You don't know it now, but you are about to do something amazing with your life.  Not only will you fall in love with your baby boy this year, you will fall in love with photography.  It will be a scary and exciting journey and for the first time in your life, you will amaze yourself.  Here is the first photo you post:


You have no idea how much you will change after this.

I could talk to you for hours about the lessons you will learn, but I won't do that.  Mostly because I would bore you but also because your offspring is screaming.  Instead, I've narrowed it down to the most important things you should know.  More specifically, the things I wish you knew.

Your equipment doesn't matter as much as you think it does.  Taking a good picture that has soul and voice comes from you, not from the latest and greatest lenses and gadgets.  You will be the one that makes awesome work, so stop worrying about all of the money you don't have to spend on the things you think you need. You don't.

Kevin will be your biggest fan.  You won't feel like it when he's telling you to stop editing or when he's annoyed with the camera, but you will never ever find another person in the universe that wants to see you succeed.  Give him a break when he doesn't answer the question, "but kevin, how does this image make you feel?!"  Just because he doesn't care about feelings in photos, doesn't mean he doesn't care about what you are doing more than you will ever understand.

Everyone isn't going to like you.  That's tough for a people pleaser like you.  Some people just aren't going to get you.  The bad news is, this will bother you for many hours of 2014.  The good news? You learn  that it's ok. Because the people that like you and your work, they are amazing.

You will find your voice.  I read your "business" plan for 2014.  First of all, you didn't know if you wanted to go into business.  Second, you wanted to take photos using vintage props.  That must have been your pregnancy hormones, because the 2015 you will never say that.  You actually laugh at it. And then cry.  You learn to break the technical rules of photography and focus significantly  more on details that often go unnoticed.

Photography will make you appreciate life.  This could be a combination of motherhood and photography, but this will be the year you ask yourself every day: what do I want to remember about this day?  Even if the shutter doesn't click, you do a much better job of appreciating little moments.

Ashley, you rock.  You are stronger and more driven than I ever would have guessed.  Don't forget to breathe and enjoy the ride.  It goes a lot faster than you think.


Stay fabulous, girl.

xo, you




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Ashley

 photo 664ce954-c914-4a14-817e-5a7cbd9b29a1_zps4ae350da.jpg
I’m Ashley! A lover of light, foggy mornings, prime lenses, hot coffee, red wine, laughing until I cry, fabulous fonts, genuine emotions, front porches, and making new friends. I live in Lacon, Illinois with my delicious son, wonderful husband, and 2 loyal labs. Please, send me a note and let's chat about this crazy life we are both trying to figure out ♥