weddings? no thanks.

I have gotten the question AT LEAST a hundred times when I talk about my photography if my goal is to shoot weddings.  Like family photography is somehow beneath a wedding!  Stop.  Just stop.



Honestly, I'm not that offended, I just like to be a drama queen.  More annoyed by the implication of what I'm doing isn't already the most awesome thing ever.  I know some very talented wedding photographers and very rarely do I see them showing pictures of them chasing toddlers around to get "the shot."  I'm a firm believer that good photographers must have a niche.  I've read advertisements that say "blah blah photography, specializing in weddings, events, families, newborns, children, seniors, and couples."  Wow.  I think one of two things when I see this: 1.  This person is the Ben Franklin of photography or 2.  This person is possibly mediocre.  Is that harsh? I just don't know how you can be awesome if you spread yourself so thin.  I mean, I couldn't be a good teacher at  if I taught every subject, right?  Unless, of course, I was a freakish genius or it was acceptable for all students to graduate with the math skills of a first grader.  I understand we all want different things from our photography journey, but if everyone is honest, don't you love one part of your job more than the other?  I know some photographers that can do it all, but I those are the exception, not the rule.  What I'm saying in a super fluffy way is: I can't do it all.  And I definitely can't do weddings.



So, because I want to be awesome, I've learned to say no. Say no to the people that ask if wedding photography is my goal and no to the people that ask me to be their wedding photographer.  There is so much pressure as a wedding photographer.  Didn't get the first kiss?  Sorry, no redo and the bride will slit your throat while you sleep.  I mean, I have a family to think of here.  Plus, more importantly, it's an entire day.  Hello, I like to have my first glass of wine by mid-afternoon while wearing yoga pants, people!



Last weekend, a friend of mine asked me to take photos of a wedding party getting ready for their big day.  I figured it would be a good experience to confirm that I didn't want to be a wedding photographer and this friend also was my labor nurse, so I owe her things for what she had to witness (you can read about that experience here).  Anyway, the girls were gorgeous, the guys were drinking beer...it was the way any wedding day should be.  It was also really weird for me not to be chasing kids around or inviting a couple to make fun of each other.  And my favorite photos to take that day? The ones of the rings.  And of the hairdressers outfit.  Because I'm a weirdo.   And also because if I would have asked the bridesmaids to run around the yard and tell each other what their favorite memories of the bride were to make them laugh, they would have probably punched me.  


Wedding photographers, I tip my hat to you.  You people are awesome.  As for me?  I'm just a ring obsessed family photographer, and I'm ok with that.






 

About Ashley

 photo 664ce954-c914-4a14-817e-5a7cbd9b29a1_zps4ae350da.jpg
I’m Ashley! A lover of light, foggy mornings, prime lenses, hot coffee, red wine, laughing until I cry, fabulous fonts, genuine emotions, front porches, and making new friends. I live in Lacon, Illinois with my delicious son, wonderful husband, and 2 loyal labs. Please, send me a note and let's chat about this crazy life we are both trying to figure out ♥